-->

Pinned it, Made it, Loved it: Chicken Tortilla Soup


 Back when I lived in Oklahoma I frequented a Tex-Mex restaurant called Peppers. There was only one thing I would order every time and it was their Chicken Tortilla Soup. I have yet to ever find another restaurant with a Chicken Tortilla Soup like it or even a recipe that came close until now. Every other restaurant that I've ever ordered it at is more authentic and has a more clear broth. 

I was browsing Pinterest and happened upon this recipe. I just thought it looked good and thought I would try it. Low and behold I was in love and so is the family. One of the secrets to this recipe is the Juanita's tortilla chips that I used. They are made right here in Oregon and no other chip would have worked the same.



I again adapted the recipe to suit what I had on hand. (i.e., canned chicken instead of fresh and more chiles then the original recipe called for)

Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Soup Recipe (Chicken tortilla soup, adjusted)
  • 6 cups chicken broth
  • 1 (15-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
  • 2 small cans of chiles
  • 1/4 cup dried minced onion
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 cup crushed Jaunita's tortilla chips
  • 1 large canned chicken breast
  • 8 ounces light sour cream
  • Garnish: additional tortilla chips, shredded monterey jack cheese, green onions
In a large covered pot, add chicken broth, tomatoes (with all the juice), green chiles, onion, cumin, pepper and Juanita's tortilla chips. Bring to a boil over medium high heat and then reduce to medium and let simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add chicken and cook for 2 to 3 more minutes until heated through. Remove pot from heat and stir in sour cream until thoroughly incorporated.
To serve, top with crushed chips, cheese and green onions.

If you cannot find Juanita's tortilla chips in your local grocery store, look for a chip that is more authentic and is a "oilier, greasier" chip.



No comments :

Post a Comment